THE BEGINNING - Learning your place  

Posted by Kim Payne


I grew up as a baby boomer in the 50's and 60's in a small town in Southern California.  If you have ever watched "Leave it to Beaver" or "Father Knows Best" on late night TV reruns, you will know what my family life was like.  I had a reasonably happy childhood with strict parents, a brother (Mark) who is 2 years older than I, and an annoying baby sister (Kathy) who is 8 years younger (surprise babies were far more common in those days!)  LOL.

My parents were very happily married which set a great example for all of us.  They had us believe that they were united in everything (as an adult I now know that could not really have been possible, but I never saw any strife between them, no disagreements, no raised voices between them and no obvious arguments).  I know, I know...it's impossible to believe but that was the norm for our home.  

Of course we were kids and oblivious to lots of things.  We also were sheltered from quite a bit.  The times were so different then.  I remember when I was 8, both my brother and I were not allowed to watch "Gunsmoke" (the old Western TV series, then on at Sunday night at 9 PM).  It was deemed far too adult and violent for us.  I know that seems hilarious today, but it was the norm then.  By being denied that particular show, we did not grow up watching people shoot each other nor punch each other (or their parents), and of course, the "shocking" hint of a relationship with Matt and Kitty would have been completely over our heads.

I admit; we were sheltered.  But it was a good thing- we grew up to become peaceful and respectful adults who to this day would not dream of claiming someone "disrespected" us.  We were too focused on giving respect to our elders, as demanded by our parents.





This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at Tuesday, July 05, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Great first blog post, Kim! I didn't get to watch The Three Stooges for the same reason you couldn't watch Gunsmoke.

July 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Roberta Campbell  

This is one of the reasons that you are such a joy to work with. My clients love the fact that you are aware of what their needs are, first and foremost respect, and then are so responsive.

July 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM

So spot on Kim! I'm sure you also remember: DO NOT speak unless spoken to first. Children are to be seen but not heard, and if you "talked back" to your parents you might as well just slap yourself across the mouth. Ah...the good ol' days! Gail

July 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Post a Comment